Monday, January 3, 2011

Dear Mom - Anne Francis

Dear Mom,

Carolyn left me a voicemail today about some plans we'd made, ending with the note that an actor you never heard of named Pete Postlethwaite had died. So when I got online I checked it out - I had heard of him and thought he was very good, also a bit young to be dead - and then, further down the page, saw something that really startled me.

Anne Francis had died, too. At eighty, which is a lot more reasonable.

But I don't know if you'd have remembered this, but I had a huge thing about Anne Francis while she was on "Honey West" - I wanted to be her, I wanted the pageboy hairdo and the beauty mark. Hell, I wanted Honey West's ocelot, Bruce! And Joanne Mahoney and I formed our own 'detective agency', with Joanne playing April Dancer from "The Girl From UNCLE". We called it April and Honey, Inc - I wanted to call it Honey and April, of course, but Joanne said it sounded too much like a throat lozenge. I wore a leotard as often as possible and we slinked around 'spying' on people. I don't know how long it lasted - we weren't very effective.

I stopped wearing the leotard after awhile; it took longer to stop trying to force my hair into a pageboy. But I always liked her and would usually watch her whenever she showed up on television.

As Kurt Vonnegut Jr used to say, And so it goes...

Love,
b

No comments:

Post a Comment